We are living in a time of panic and fear of pandemic, surrounding the current coronavirus (COVID-19) scare. More than ever, people are concerned about getting sick themselves, and spreading germs. Within just a couple of weeks of the first reported case in the United States, public events, schools, and buildings have been closed. Products such as antibacterial hand soaps and sanitizers are sold out of stores, and backordered for weeks.
I’m not going to get into whether or not I feel these fears are valid, because if people want to panic about something, they will. Aside from that, I’ve gotten multiple emails and messages on social media from people who are struggling with dry, sore, and even cracked hands from all the extra hand washing. I’ve responded by doing a story series on my Instagram profile, in the “TLC for Hands” story highlight. While I always recommend that people make their own skincare and personal care products so that they know exactly what is in them, I realize that some people prefer to buy their products. So I decided to put together a short list of my recommendations for safe hand care products.
Keep in mind, this is by no means an exhaustive list!
I chose the following safe hand care products based on the following criteria:
- They are made by one of my Create Your Skincare graduates OR private consulting clients so I know I can trust the brand and ingredients OR
- They are by Made Safe Certified Non Toxic OR
- They are EWG Verified® AND
- They are easily available online as of the publication of this post
- They contain naturally antimicrobial ingredients but no harsh synthetic antimicrobial agents
- They contain hydrating and skin protective ingredients
- No harsh surfactants
- No synthetic fragrances
Hand washes or soaps
- Everyday Shea Foaming Hand Soaps from Alaffia
- Kosmetology Botanical Bliss Organic Foaming Hand Soaps
- Everyone Foaming Hand Soaps
- Sally B’s Skin Yummies Foaming Hand Soaps
- True Botanicals Nourishing Body Wash (this one is not a hand wash, per se, but I love it)
- Tenoba Body Care’s Organic Hand Soap
- Liquid Moon Skincare’s Honey Silk Cleanser (this one’s also not a hand wash, but it is so soothing and hydrating)
- Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Soap–unscented (baby)–use this diluted with distilled water or your favorite hydrosol in a reusable foaming soap dispenser
Hand creams or balms
- Alaffia’s Coconut Reishi Hand and Body Creme
- Kosmetology Botanical Bliss Lotion Bars
- Soapwalla’s Concentrated Repair Balm (a tiny big goes a looooong way)
- Makes 3 Organics Ultra Softening Balm
- Tenoba’s At Ease Cream
- Celtic Complexion’s Decadently Rich Body Lotion
- Liquid Moon Skincare’s Cocoa Body Butter
Hand sanitizers (if you absolutely feel you MUST)
If you want to make your own…
I offer a great DIY hand care online mini-course called the My Clean Hands DIY Hand Care Course for just $27. In this course, you’ll learn to make your own all natural, soothing, safe, and effective soap-based foaming hand wash, hand sanitizer (there are two recipe options for that), and lotion stick. Get instant access to that HERE.
I recommend customizing them using the antimicrobial herbs and oils I showed in my Instagram TLC for Hands story highlight.
I hope my safe hand care product recommendations were helpful!
Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below.